Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Anti Hipstamatic

tree resin, blood and india ink The trained artist could draw a head or a hand from a dozen perspectives. The photographer discovered that the gestures of a hand were infinitely various. 
John Szarkowski: "The Photographer Eye"

 
Had a Gmail chat with Gareth [GB] this morning @ about 9:17am. He was at home (Bangkok) with his foot up_ He stood on a shard of glass he did not see because of the flooding. GB shared his new set of Photographs with me with a facebook link.

He calls this series: Anti hipstamatic - real prints, actual effects, tangible. Here's a preview and some 'blurb' from our chat.

Gareth:  i have had it up to my ears with Hipstamatic and iphones
and this is my most recent work
me: cooool G... I will looksee...
Those are  beautiful_ tell me more about the process_students must see this... 
Gareth: Its tree resin, blood, and india ink, the images are burnt or stained... me: Dan Aldon journal inspired? Gareth: dan eldon, peter beard, philip blenkinsop
 
Gareth: photographs that exist in a real place that have been worked on and had a story added before becoming virtual are just way better  
 me: why? 

 Gareth: well for example - you take a picture with your iphone, chuck the image in your hipstamatic and upload it_ it looks like it came from a polaroid except everyone looks the same.
me: these images are about pixels and humaness...the human qualities_ the blood etc give the blankness of the pixels texture and make it visceral (instinctive/emotional) 

 Gareth: there is no individuality no self expressno thought process
no art 
  me: it does it for you?
 
Gareth: I HATE IPHONES
Gareth: and HIPSTAMATIC  me: I don't understand I am Googling Hipstamatic as we speak.      Gareth: i like things i can touch and feel or at least I know exist in a place where I could touch and feel them...
  art
  as in photographs
  paintings
  drawings etc me: I want an iPhone (and then I told him about my BB#7 saga) :'(  

 Gareth: hahaha
 

No comments:

Post a Comment