Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

10 questions @ Gareth Bright

I asked Gareth 10 questions...
and this is what he had to say:


1:   What does Photography mean to you?
Photography for me is a platform to shake people from indifference; I believe the strength of photography lies in its ability to invoke a sense of humanity. It’s a form of expression that can provoke change and has. The notion of this seems way out of proportion to the ongoing chaos and turmoil in our world, but it’s this exact notion that keeps driving me and always will. Photography to me is hope for change, or cause for change frozen in moments of time.


2:  What genre of Photography are you passionate about? 
 Documentary, Humanitarian and (despite my hate for the word and lack of a better one) Photojournalism.
 


3. What aspects of Photography do you love?
It’s ability to communicate, inform and inspire.  

4. What aspects of Photography do you find challenging?
Well in terms of my work it’s when to shoot and when to help, and of course in an ever competitive modern world where everyone has a DSLR or some camera my biggest challenge is to stay ahead of the “pack” and keep up to date and fresh with new ideas.
  

  

5. Where do you find inspiration? 
 I find a lot of inspiration in the people I work with and the people I photograph. I once read that some people are born to suffer and that you and I will never understand that suffering or the place it comes from, but from the same place comes honesty, integrity, love and pride_ you and I won’t understand either. This statement is perfectly in tune with the people I have photographed and that inspires me, they inspire me to keep fighting for them when they are so often forgotten. I am inspired by silence and contemplation while paging through some of my favorite photographers books and or images. I also find piles of inspiration in revolutionaries (Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela, and Gandhi etc) and their ideals, in this sense I try use the inspiration I draw from them in the way I work with my subjects –compassion and patience and BELIEF in change.

6. If you could share one thing with others who are also interested in Photography what would it be?
TAKE PICTURES OF EVERYTHING-never think you have learnt or know enough_ you haven’t, you never can. Have fun, be passionate and persevere it’s always worth it.



7. Name Photographers that have influenced you.
Philip Blenkinsop, James Nacthwey, Sebastiao Salgado , Ed Kashi, Robert Capa,  The Bang Bang Club, Jugen Shadeburg, Alf Khumalo, Gary Knight, All the photographers at NOOR agency


8. List  3 words that describe your experience as a student.
Passionate, Impatient (this is not a typo) and Hungry


9. List 3 words that describe how it feels to be engaging outside DUT.
Inspiring, Humble and Stressful


10. What advice would you give students who are embarking on studying to become professional Photographers?
Choose your field whatever it may be, but concentrate on being diverse. Work HARD, take criticism to heart because despite the heartache you will find you learn faster. Believe in yourself, always, at all times and never listen to anyone (and there will be many) that tells you PHOTOGRAPHY is a dead end career.








14 comments:

  1. Wow... Gareth's images are amazing! His short presentation about him and what he does was so inspirational! I wished I could have a strong heart and do what he does because it opens your eyes to a world out there that I didn’t even know about.
    Thanks Gareth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gareth's work is great, you can see through his images that he is passionate about what he does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gareths talk was quite interesting but more importantly what he had to say inspired many of us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing Gareth's work has been very refreshing, its very inspirational to see some one so different and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Photography for me is a platform to shake people from indifference; I believe the strength of photography lies in its ability to invoke a sense of humanity." This has to be the most inspiring thing I have read today. When I grow up I wana be just like Gareth :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look and feel of your blog Liza, and the photo's are gripping. Keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow gareths pictures are stunning and inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was insightful,inspiring and unique. keep up the good work and keep your head.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the answer to question 6... it is so true and inspirational. Thanks dude!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very inspiring. I particularly enjoy his portraits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find his work moody, inspiring , and thought provoking in a way

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the way he crops the images and i really like the mood. a very inspiring photographer! really enjoy looking at his work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The portraits really speak to you, the young girl is really stunning

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nhlanhla
    You known when i read this blog a lot came to mind i also posed some of the questions to my self, and it gave me a hole lot of inspiration and am also begging to find a platform for my choice and style of photography.

    ReplyDelete