Search This Blog

Sunday, February 27, 2011

meet... Gareth Bright

Gareth Bright is a full time freelance photographer> this he says is due to personal ideals and conflicting ideals and hates been called a PHOTOJOURNALIST
GB is originally from Durban but travels all over the world documenting 'life' with his Leica. When Gareth had the small opportunity to speak to students on the 22nd February_ I asked him over lunch if he would become my blogPAL so that we could keep conversations going through blogging, which would also provide a platform for everybody else to be a part of the conversations and ask Gareth any questions relating to the post.  I am very excited by communicating with Gareth and having him share his experiences with us... 

Here are some exerts from our email conversations: 

LIZA: " Very nice to see you again and hear what you are up to_  in the short time that you spoke_ you had such inspiring contributions to make to conversations on what photography can do, what photography can change and what it represents to individuals, like you, who are driven by a wonderful ethos/passion to do good in this world."

GARETH: Wow, its always great to have a platform to talk especially on what i believe is such an important part of making a difference and such an important part of my life so thank you!!

LIZA: Oooh I must contextualize all this persistence and excitement a little: all this_ conversations on communication, sharing, networking and blogging is part of my Masters area of study but MORE IMPORTANTLY part of my teaching philosophy to connect students with others through their love of photography so that they can be inspired by these encounters. This I believe will boost their photography and give them a sense of confidence to express themselves_ which for me is so important.  I feel that your inclusion will not only enrich the blog but also support how in this wired world we get to converse and reach beyond our own boundaries and be inspired by the connections we make with people across the world...

 GARETH: Here is the the links to my blog, my vii visionaries and a YouTube video I made. Its a new Blog I started last year after a bit of a melt down and I do update when ever I find the time to sit down listen to some music and write. Once again, if there is any other ways other than the penpal etc I can help you, when I am around I am always willing to lend a hand. Thanks for lunch and for your enthusiasm.

---> Blog: 

---> The multimedia I did, its terrible but I made on a emotional roller-coaster of a day when I just felt like I had to do as much as I could to help these people.



6 comments:

  1. It is again awesome to see what someone has done outside of tech, sometimes studying something you love can make the subject not so enjoyable anymore, but seeing someone leave tech and follow photography so passionately, re-inspires me for when I leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its cool that you love what you do , i need to find that relationship with my occupation , its a great feeling to know that your going to wake up for work ten years from now wanting to wake up and actually go to work and not be in a dead end job where your unhappy , in the end happiness trumps money

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your works Gareth, its give me hope that i am doing the right course keep up the good work. INSPIRED

    ReplyDelete
  4. UNFORTUNATELY I MISSED YOUR TALK BUT I REALLY ENJOYED READING ABOUT YOUR THOUGHTS ON PHOTOGRAPHY AND ALSO YOUR APPROACH TOWARDS YOUR WORK. I THINK ITS EASY TO START ASSOCIATING PHOTOGRAPHY WITH ASSIGMENTS AND SOMETIMES YOU JUST NEED A REMINDER OF WHY YOU LOVE PHOTOGRAPHY AND WHAT IT'S REEEALY ABOUT...SO THANKS***

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work i like the creativity that has been applied and what i like about this work it caters for everyone meaning he shoots everyone any race it is full of insipiration

    ReplyDelete